Compass is all about helping people in our community, and right now, the people of Texas and other areas affected by Hurricane Harvey need our help. While many people want to send clothes and toiletries down, a lot of the buildings that would be used to store these supplies are currently unusable. Anyone who wishes to help is strongly encouraged to send monetary donations instead. Often times when tragedy strikes, there are people who try and take advantage of those who wish to help.
So we have gathered a list of legitimate sites where you can make a small contribution to help those who have lost everything.
- Greater Houston Community Foundation
- Local Detroit GoFundMe page has been set up to send money to Houston
- The American Red Cross
- Don’t forget that our pets need loving homes too. The Houston Humane Society is collecting funds to help animals also affected by the hurricanes.
- NFL Superstar, JJ Watt, has set up his own fund for Hurricane Harvey
- To help 3 year old Jordyn who was found clinging to her mom in the hurricane, you can donate directly to her here.
- Best Friends Animal Society in Texas is taking donations to help our furry friends. You can see their updates on their Facebook page.
- Diapers are a big need for those with young children. You can mail diapers to 5415 Bandera Rd. Suite 504, San Antonio, TX 78238
- The Houston Food Bank is taking donations to help feed families who don’t have a home.
- People with dialysis are struggling to have their medical needs met. The American Kidney Fund is taking donations to help replace medications.
- And Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston is also taking donations to help with food, clothes, shelter and support no matter the individuals’ background.
For those who live in West Michigan, Daybreak Church in Hudsonville, 3501 Baldwin St. Hudsonville, MI is accepting new under garments for children including socks.
And for those close to downtown Grand Rapids, you can take donations to the Ford Fieldhouse at GRCC. Make sure you ask for Billy Firm.
For those who would like to donate specific items instead of money, WZZM has a list of things they’re collecting at their news station located at 645 3 Mile Rd. NW Grand Rapids, MI
Please Note the Following:
We’d also like to let our clients know they may see an increase in insurance rates. With the hurricanes hitting, all of our rates are going to increase, not just those directly affected. For questions about these increases or your policy, please call our office at 616-245-5555 and one of our agents will walk you through.